Director, Managed Care Relationships Westminster, California
We are recruiting for a Director, Managed Care Relationships to join our Managed Care Department in Southern California. This is a work from home position that can be located anywhere in the area.
An experienced Managed Care executive to lead development and execution of the Managed Care strategy, including all managed care related payor relations initiatives for assigned CA markets. This individual will serve as a key market leader and critical liaison between the market’s managed care payers and Kindred Hospital Division operations and other support services (Case Management, Sales and Marketing, Business Office, etc.). Collaborates with market colleagues to identify and execute on business development, revenue growth opportunities, systematic clinical and/or operational issues with managed care or 3rd party payors. This position is both internal and external facing, develops and maintains effective working relationships with key stakeholders with managed care payers in the market. Executes on business development opportunities by focusing on Kindred’s value proposition and drives increased managed care penetration across the Kindred’s continuum of care.
Essential Functions (as applicable based on market and number of direct reports):
- Develops and updates the local Market Managed Care Strategy in collaboration with Operations leadership, the regional VP, Managed Care and other market colleagues, including documentation of goals, activities, and progress achieved
- In collaboration with the regional VP and Managed Care, determines the optimal allocation of necessary resources to effectively manage the relationships with payers in the market, including provider organizations under a contractual or risk-bearing agreement
- Builds and maintains managed care payer relationships in support of the Managed Care strategy for each market to ensure (i) appropriate contact and communication at all necessary levels within the payor organization (e.g. contracting, medical management, discharge planning, etc.), (ii) communication of Kindred’s value proposition (iii) resolving “barriers to entry”, and (iv) consistency of messaging in general
- Owns and manages all aspects of assigned portfolio of managed care and associated payor relationships, including (i) identifying opportunities to grow our managed care business and scheduling meetings with the relevant payer contacts, (ii) creating tailored presentations / materials, (iii) seeking preparation and attendance support from appropriate internal colleagues, as necessary, and (iv) leading payor meetings
- Sponsors and holds quarterly and/or bi-annual Joint Operating/Quality Committee (JOC/JQC) meetings with managed care payer leadership and key decision-makers to identify and pursue business growth opportunities, resolve key clinical and/or operational issues, etc.
- Sponsors quarterly cross-divisional, cross-functional Managed Care meetings (a forum for communication between the market’s key internal constituents) to assess key managed care trends, and to inform and adjust market-based managed care strategies and contract initiatives, as necessary
- Educates and trains core group of market operators and other internal support services (e.g. Business Office, Admission, Sales & Marketing, Medical Management, etc.) on relevant elements of new or renegotiated contracts
- Updates and maintains payor-specific activity for assigned accounts
- Documents critical reporting capabilities for Kindred based on payors’ evolving data needs, as identified in JQC and other meetings
- Manages local and attends national conferences, as relevant
- Attends relevant regional, division and district staff meetings
- Works collaboratively with key internal constituents (e.g. Operations leadership, CFOs, other managed care team members, etc.) to establish optimal Managed Care strategy, and ensure compliance and & successful implementation
- Maintains integrity of managed care information, including Managed Care databases, contract rate dissemination and education in concert with Sr Dir Managed Care
- Monitors and keeps current on Federal/State laws and regulations as they apply to health benefit contracts
- Tracks and monitors all contract activity for assigned market area
- Builds consensus with Market Executive Directors/CFO and Sr Dir Managed Care on Managed Care goals, objectives, strategies, individual contract terms, etc.
- Self-motivated and results oriented
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in a matrix environment and with various colleagues at all levels of the organization to achieve defined market-specific goals
- Comprehensive understanding of industry standard managed contract language and the impact on various aspects of our business
- Ability to effectively communicate in English in verbal, written, and presentation form
- Computer literacy
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and proficient planning skills and negotiation skills
- Ability to work under stress and meet deadlines
- Ability to travel occasionally; approximate percent of time required to travel: 10%
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field.
- Master's degree preferred.
- 10+ years healthcare experience in the areas of managed care contracting and/or business development.
- Knowledge of the Post-Acute industry preferred.
Depending on a candidate’s qualifications, this position may be filled at a different level.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your career and future opportunities.