HIM Coder - CHI Franciscan/Kindred HealthcareTacoma, Washington
CHI Franciscan Rehabilitation Hospital opened the doors of this new 60-bed physical rehab hospital in May 2018 to serve patients recovering from strokes, brain and spinal-cord injuries, amputations, complex orthopedic injuries, and other conditions. The hospital is a joint venture partnership between CHI Franciscan Health and Kindred Healthcare. This is not a remote position. This position reports to our facility in Tacoma, Washington.
- Codes IRF records using current ICD coding version and within timeframe set by hospital.
- Works closely with the PPS Coordinator in assigning the Impairment Code for all admissions.
- Transmits the IRF PAI in a timely manner for all Medicare inpatients.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient care information to ensure patient rights are protected.
- As directed by the HIM Manager, assists in planning, organizing, directing and maintaining Health Information Services in accordance with established policies, procedures, state and federal regulations and accreditation standards (i.e. HIPAA, JCAHO, CARF).
- Assist in establishing and maintaining procedures for the collection, coding, abstracting, filing and retrieval of medical records.
- Work with staff physicians in getting records completed within the required timeframe.
- Guide nursing staff in keeping records neat and orderly during the patient’s hospitalization.
- At discharge, process records within required timeframes:assembly, analysis, coding, and abstracting, IRF PAI Transmission.
- Review and process requests for patient information within required timeframe.
- Develop and maintain good rapport with inter-disciplinary team members to help ensure that medical records are properly maintained and problems areas identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Maintain a neat and orderly HIM Department.
- Performs other related duties and activities as directed and assigned by the HIM Manager.
- Participates in the overall quality assessment and improvement program activities.
- Participates in continuing education classes and training programs.
- Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Must be knowledgeable of medical terminology
- Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and Joint Commission regulations.
- Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wears identification while on duty.
- Attends departmental in-services and completes annual competencies/education requirements.
- Works at maintaining a good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with physicians, departments and staff.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with policies and procedures regarding department operations, fire, safety, infection control and emergency management.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- RHIT (or eligible) or RHIA (or eligible) or Coding Certification by AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association)
Prefer hospital HIM Department and coding experience.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your career and future opportunities.