Health Information Management ManagerSacramento, California
UC Davis Health Rehabilitation Hospital is joint venture beween Lifepoint Rehabilitation Services, an experienced post-acute care provider, and UC Davis Health. With 58,000 square feet of space, the hospital will have 52 patient beds. The new facility will provide acute adult inpatient care and is the first free-standing physical rehabilitation hospital in Sacramento.
LIfepoint operates 30+ similar rehabilitation hospitals around the nation – many of them award-winning and recognized for their high quality of care. The new UC Davis hospital is expected to open for its first patients in 2023. Clinical services will include physical and occupational therapies and speech pathology services. Therapists, physicians and nurses will help patients regain physical function and mobility, and the independent capabilities to do everyday activities and work. Officials also expect the UC Davis Rehabilitation Hospital to become a location that offers new, currently unavailable, treatments to patients, as well as research opportunities for new treatments led by physician-researchers from the UC Davis School of Medicine.
The hospital is located at the corner of Broadway and 49th Street in Sacramento. It will cost $60 million to build. Lifepoint will develop the project, which is expected to create up to 200 new health care jobs, as well as hundreds of prevailing wage construction jobs. It will enable rehabilitation care for twice as many patients as currently can be treated for conditions resulting from stroke, brain trauma and spinal cord injuries at UC Davis Medical Center.
Responsible for planning, developing and maintaining the Health Information Department of the hospital in accordance with state and federal guidelines, accreditation standards as well as hospital policies and procedures. This is not a people manager position but instead manages the HIM function and requires being onsite at the hospital.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient care information to ensure patient rights are protected.
- Assist in planning, organizing, directing and maintaining the Health Information Department in accordance with established policies, procedures, state and federal regulations and accreditation standards (i.e. HIPAA, TJC, and CARF).
- Assist in establishing and maintaining procedures for the collection, abstracting, filing and retrieval of medical records.
- Assist staff physicians in use of electronic medical record.
- Work with staff physicians in getting records completed within the required timeframe.
- Serve as a resource for hospital leadership and other staff regarding health information issues, rules and regulations and accreditation standards (i.e. HIPAA, TJC).
- Review policies and procedures as required by administration and participate in making recommended changes.
- Supervise other HIM employees which include initial and on-going training in HIM functions. (if applicable)
- Guide clinical staff in keeping any paper-based records neat and orderly during the patient’s hospitalization.
- Coordinate the scanning and shredding of PHI from patient records.
- At discharge, process records within required timeframes: assembly, analysis and abstracting.
- Review and process requests for patient information within required timeframe and serve as resource for other staff who may be involved in requests after regular business hours.
- Prepare and present quarterly HIM report to Quality Committee.
- Coordiante activities of the Record Compliance Review process including preparation/presentation of summary reports and follow-up.
- Develop and maintain good rapport with interdisciplinary team members to help ensure that medical records are properly maintained and problem areas identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Maintain a neat and orderly HIM Department.
- Performs other related duties and activities as directed and assigned by supervisor or HIM support center staff.
- Participates in the overall quality assessment and improvement program activities.
- Participates in continuing education classes and training programs.
- Prepare records and reports for committee review as required.
- Assist in presentations during orientation and periodic staff training dealing with Health Information topics.
- Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- RHIT (or eligible) or RHIA (or eligible) or Coding Certification by AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association).
- Prefer two+ (2) years of experience in health information leadership in a health-related facility preferably a hospital setting.
- The range for this position will be $31.20 - $42.90 per hour. We would expect those hired into this job would be paid within this pay range, however, certain circumstances may allow us to pay outside of this range
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.