Director of PharmacySacramento, California
UC Davis Rehabilitation Hospital – Sacramento, CA
Lifepoint Rehabilitation, an experienced post-acute care provider, to operate the new inpatient rehabilitation facility as the Joint Venture Partner to UC Davis Health at UC Davis Health Rehabilitation Hospital. With 58,000 square feet of space, the hospital will have 52 patient beds. The new facility will provide acute adult inpatient care and is the first free-standing physical rehabilitation hospital in Sacramento.
Lifepoint operates 31+ similar rehabilitation hospitals around the nation – many of them award-winning and recognized for their high quality of care. The new UC Davis hospital is expected to open for its first patients in 2023. Clinical services will include physical and occupational therapies and speech pathology services. Therapists, physicians and nurses will help patients regain physical function and mobility, and the independent capabilities to do everyday activities and work. Officials also expect the UC Davis Rehabilitation Hospital to become a location that offers new, currently unavailable, treatments to patients, as well as research opportunities for new treatments led by physician-researchers from the UC Davis School of Medicine.
The hospital is located at the corner of Broadway and 49th Street in Sacramento. It will cost $60 million to build. Kindred will develop the project, which is expected to create up to 200 new health care jobs, as well as hundreds of prevailing wage construction jobs. It will enable rehabilitation care for twice as many patients as currently can be treated for conditions resulting from stroke, brain trauma and spinal cord injuries at UC Davis Medical Center.
The Pharmacy Director functions as the Pharmacist in Charge and is responsible for operational management of the Pharmacy Department including functioning as the main pharmacist. The primary function of this position is to manage the department in compliance with the philosophy, policies, procedures, goals and budget of the department. The director incorporates and demonstrates customer service strategies in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Demonstrates administrative responsibilities related to daily operations management.
- Develops goals, objectives, policies and procedures for departmental operation
- Works to improve services provided and assure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Keeps leadership informed of operational activities, needs and problems.
- Drives installation and implementation of new services, procedures and pharmacy automation products.
- Fosters teamwork throughout the organization.
- Develops and executes Performance Improvement Programs involving pharmacy operations.
- Demonstrates skills in measuring, assessing, and improving organizational performance.
- Encourages professional development of departmental personnel through in-service education and external education
- Manages the pharmacy team including hiring, training, scheduling, resolving performance issues, coaching and mentoring.
- Reviews and approves Technician and Pharmacists schedules prior to distribution to staff.
- Meets regularly with pharmacy staff regarding pharmacy operations.
- Develops, implements and monitors appropriate staffing plans based on factors such as acuity and census.
- Coordinates and facilitates the performance reviews within the organizations recommended time frame using appropriate methods of assessing staff competence.
- Provides oversight for purchasing and inventory management.
- Demonstrates understanding of JC Standards, HCFA, CARF and State Standards and monitors department’s compliance.
- May act as a preceptor to pharmacy students or pharmacy residents
- Provides mentoring for pharmacy students on rotation consistent with college requirements.
- Prepares sterile and non-sterile compounds per USP standards
- Verifies physician medication orders with accuracy and timeliness
- Monitors and evaluates the six critical processes of medication management; determines risk points and is an active participant with physicians and clinical staff in continuous quality and performance improvement.
- Verifies and approves the work of Pharmacy Technician(s).
- Responsible for the management and utilization of the computerized pharmacy system.
- Orders and stores medications, keeping them safe and effective.
- Monitors drug therapy for appropriateness and promotes/ evaluates rational drug therapy that improves pharmaceutical care. Performs anticoagulant monitoring.
- Maintains positive relationships with all customers.
- Complies with regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides information to the medical staff and administration regarding the cost effective use of pharmaceuticals.
- Works with physicians, specialists and other clinicians to implement appropriate guidelines and protocols for drug use based on evidence based medicine, national guidelines, and literature based protocols.
- Provides drug information to nurses, physicians, and other pharmacists to ensure current information on drug therapy.
- Provides specialized services to assist nursing and patients manage conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, etc.
- Recommends changes to drug therapy based on patient assessment.
- Provides and documents clinical interventions, therapy recommendations and other clinical activities according to department policy and procedure in order to maintain accurate and complete patient records
- Participates in the Medication Reconciliation activities of the Pharmacy Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS Pharmacy required, PharmD and/or MBA/MS (or equivalent education/experience) preferred
- Must hold a current state license to practice pharmacy.
- Minimum five years’ experience in hospital pharmacy is desirable.
- Demonstrated management/leadership skills and/or program management
- The range for this position will be $155,000 - $190,000 per year. We would expect those hired into this job would be paid within this pay range, however, certain circumstances may allow us to pay outside of this range
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.