Admissions CoordinatorSacramento, California
UC Davis Health Rehabilitation Hospital is joint venture beween Lifepoint Rehabilitation Services, an experienced post-acute care provider, and UC Davis Health. With 58,000 square feet of space, the hospital will have 52 patient beds. The new facility will provide acute adult inpatient care and is the first free-standing physical rehabilitation hospital in Sacramento.
LIfepoint operates 30+ similar rehabilitation hospitals around the nation – many of them award-winning and recognized for their high quality of care. The new UC Davis hospital is expected to open for its first patients in 2023. Clinical services will include physical and occupational therapies and speech pathology services. Therapists, physicians and nurses will help patients regain physical function and mobility, and the independent capabilities to do everyday activities and work. Officials also expect the UC Davis Rehabilitation Hospital to become a location that offers new, currently unavailable, treatments to patients, as well as research opportunities for new treatments led by physician-researchers from the UC Davis School of Medicine.
The hospital is located at the corner of Broadway and 49th Street in Sacramento. It will cost $60 million to build. Lifepoint will develop the project, which is expected to create up to 200 new health care jobs, as well as hundreds of prevailing wage construction jobs. It will enable rehabilitation care for twice as many patients as currently can be treated for conditions resulting from stroke, brain trauma and spinal cord injuries at UC Davis Medical Center.
This position will work under the direction of the Director of Business Development and be responsible for patient admissions, insurance verification and other insurance verification duties as directed. This individual will be responsible for obtaining the necessary demographic information of the patient which may require interviewing patients or their representatives. This position is also responsible for preparing/processing admitting forms and keeps abreast of all new insurance updates and regulations. Direct supervisory for all admissions associates.
- Leads the admissions office process in IRF sites.
- Direct supervisory role of all hospital admission associates.
- Coordinates all facility tours provided to potential patients and guests – providing outcomes and clinical data pertaining to their specific needs.
- Ability to independently make decisions on prioritization of processing referrals and insurance authorizations based on clinical readiness.
- Compiles reports on patient outcomes data for liaisons and partner healthcare centers.
- Attends Hospital-wide operations meetings to report on potential admissions, patient needs, and pipeline information.
- Maintains open communication with liaisons and internal staff regarding bed availability and staffing.
- Coordinates the flow of information through the admissions process and forwards to appropriate departments for the successful completion of admission.
- Collect and record all information necessary for admitting patients.
- Immediately notifies appropriate rehab liaison to perform a clinical evaluation.
- Communicates admission status and coordinates all aspects of rehab admission.
- Pre- Admit all patients into appropriate EMR/Billing system – obtain correct demographic, clinical, and insurance information.
- Contact patient’s insurance to confirm and determine amount of coverage and benefits, deductible due, length of stay and if pre-certification is required, in order to complete Insurance Benefit Verification form.
- Obtain Pre-certification for inpatient rehabilitation stay and document necessary information for case management to follow up once patient admits.
- Answers telephone promptly and courteously, providing information and completing all referral/intake forms as appropriate for each call.
- Notifies appropriate departments of patient’s anticipated admission date/time.
- Notifies the appropriate personnel of the anticipated arrival time of all inpatients.
- Inputs new referrals into EMR for clinical liaison to complete Pre-admission screen
- Informs the patient of their verified insurance benefits and refers them to the appropriate finance department for further billing questions.
- Creates working patient files to track progress with patient’s admission
- Maintains confidentiality of patient medical records information in accordance with hospital’s defined policies and procedures.
- Coordinates denial information with liaisons for follow-up communication to referral sources, families and physicians.
- Continuously updates referral logs to indicate patients admission, pending, or denial status and reason for denial
- Provides current list of all pending referrals to liaisons, and necessary hospital staff
- Notifies insurance provider of patient’s admission and updates authorization information, as needed.
- Provides monthly information on conversion ratios.
- As needed, Completes admitting paperwork, obtaining appropriate signatures, reviews information with the patient and family, obtains patient identification and insurance cards for copy.
- Must be cooperative and have the desire to be a team player.
- Must recognize and observe confidentiality principles.
- Consistently demonstrates the ability to organize tasks in order of priority.
- Consistently performs job duties in an independent manner with minimal direct supervision required.
- Performs other duties as requested by authorized personnel or as necessary for effective operation of the facility, including emergency situations.
- Follow the step by step procedure outlined by Admissions Coordinator when receiving referrals.
- Processes referrals and coordinates admissions of all patients in an efficient, responsive manner. Assists with action plan for all pending cases to maximize conversion of referrals to admissions.
- Prepares all forms completely and accurately prior to the arrival of all admissions.
- Maintains up-to-date statistical data in computer information system within established time frames.
- Ensures completion of all referral documentation and maintains filing systems.
- Maintains, posts, and distributes an accurate census and referral information to administration hospital staff on a daily basis.
- Maintains systems and processes for timely data-entry of pre-admit, admission, and registration of information for inpatients and outpatients.
- Compiles daily and monthly statistics for admission, discharges, referrals and denials.
- Prepares statistics for corporate report as designated.
- Compiles and distributes weekly admissions/discharges list. Monitors pending list daily.
- Recognizes problems and assumes responsibility for helping to solve them when they occur.
- Seeks supervisory help appropriate in problem solving and assists in implementing solutions.
- Ensures patients have a good understanding of their insurance benefits and answers questions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
The range for this position will be $50,000-$70,000. We would expect those hired into this job would be paid within this pay range, however, certain circumstances may allow us to pay outside of this range.Qualifications
- High School Diploma required. Some college preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Admitting and/or medical insurance preferred.
- Experience in handling patient admissions preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of insurance and their benefits and admitting forms.
- Proficiency in recording admission reservations.
- Management experience preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Ability to deal tactfully with patients, hospital staff and the general public.
- Med-Surg hospitals and systems (for profit and non-profit) knowledge desired
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must maintain a professional demeanor and appearance to reflect proper image for the hospital and the board members, medical staff, community leaders and fellow employees.
- Must have good organizational skills and analytical ability in order to interpret information, and carry out duties independently.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.