Manager, Health Information ManagementRahway, New Jersey
At Kindred Healthcare It Starts With Me.
Our commitment is to deliver excellence and an empathetic human experience to every patient, every family member, every employee, every time. We do this through our Core Values which help in guiding our work every day.
Plans, organizes, and, directs the provision of Health Information Management (HIM) services consistent with standards of accrediting and regulatory agencies and policies and requirements of Kindred Healthcare. Establishes HIM procedures, standards, and departmental objectives; supervises daily departmental functions, including medical record completion, transmission, indexing, abstracting, research, filing, storage, retrieval, and maintenance. Has thorough knowledge of the legal aspects of patient medical records, including release of information and HIPAA Privacy and Security requirements.
- Manages the HIM department in order to optimize the efficient and effective handling of patient records and related documents.
- May supervise HIM staff in processing medical records and in performing other HIM functions in small-to-medium Kindred facilities.
- Ensures the suspension process for physicians with delinquent medical records is consistent with hospital policy as well as medical staff bylaws/rules and regulations.
- Oversees procedures to meet legal and accreditation regulations regarding content, processing of medical records, and release of information.
- Serves as a HIPAA resource to the hospital.
- Manages continuous quality improvement of the handling of patient information; ensures confidentiality and integrity of patient records.
- Oversees the dictation and transcription process per Hospital Division and facility policies and procedures.
- Maintains record indexes and storage and retrieval systems.
- Develops in-service educational materials and conducts instructional programs for HIM and for health care personnel.
- Assists in annual budget planning and monitors department expenditures.
- Attends committee meetings, workshops, and other meetings as needed or required per policy.
- Analyzes patient data for facility planning, and quality of patient care, risk management, utilization management, and research.
- Ensures medical record reviews and other reviews/audits are conducted within established timeframes and per hospital policy.
- Maintains appropriate medical records and statistics for prospective payment systems to ensure compliance with The Joint Commission (TJC), Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other accrediting or regulatory agencies.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty.
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Ability to work under stress and to respond quickly in emergency situations. Ability to work cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Ability to train and supervise employees, to include organizing, scheduling, and prioritizing work assignments.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and processes.
- Knowledge of continuous quality improvement principles and practices.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Must read, write and speak fluent English.
- Must have good and regular attendance.
- Approximate percent of time required to travel, 0%.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology required;
Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management preferred.
Certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) required.
Certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) by AHIMA preferred.
Minimum of 3 years of experience in HIM operations required.
Previous experience in an electronic medical record environment.
Required minimum of 1 year of experience in an HIM supervisory role preferred.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.