Nutritional Services Manager-New Hospital!Nashville, Tennessee
Nutrition Services Manager
Ascension Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital
Ascension Saint Thomas, in partnership with Kindred--LifePoint Health, are to open the new
Ascension Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital in Midtown Nashville, TN.
Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital will serve nine counties and a population of 1.9 million—including more than 298,000 senior citizens. Upon completion and pending necessary regulatory approvals, the 40-bed, state-of-the-art facility will replace the 24-bed Acute Rehab Unit now located at Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital. Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital will provide additional access to post-acute care by addressing Middle Tennessee’s shortage of dedicated beds for individuals who require extended neurological and cardiovascular care following serious health events.
Full Press Release:
The Nutritional Service Manager directs the activities of the Nutritional Services Department. Provides quality food service for the patient population, visitors, guests, and hospital staff. Administers, plans, and directs activities of department providing quality food service. Enforces policies and procedures and provides administrative direction of menuexecution, food preparation and service, purchasing, sanitation standards, safety practices, and personnel utilization. Manages the team including hiring, performance management and development of the team. Adheres to the department budget (hours worked, expenses, inventory etc.) and directs departmental education programs. Coordinates interdepartmental professional activities. Directs the quality assurance program for the department.
- Participates in planning and creating the hospital’s strategic plan to achieve the mission and vision of the hospital
- Manages the department by company policies, procedures, standards, and applicable federal, state, and local regulations
- Participates in the planning of the department budget
- Submits capital budget request to CFO per policy
- Accountable for daily managing of department budget through operational expense management and labor management
- Manages the department’s financials and completes necessary monthly reporting.
- Develops or oversees the department schedule to assure adequate staff to provide services, but within budgeted FTEs
- Performs or oversees ordering and delivery of food, supplies, and equipment from approved vendors to ensure adequate stock levels to perform departmental functions
- Inspects or delegates the inspection of arriving shipments, signs invoices/receipts of shipment
- Oversees the stocking and inventory of current food and supplies following proper storage and labeling procedures
- Performs monthly end-of-the-month physical inventory
- Participates in the hospital’s performance improvement program by conducting, aggregating, trending, and acting on data for key department indicators.
- Annual QAPI department plan is developed with mandatory components. Monthly reports are taken to hospital committee as per facility policy.
- Monitor quality in the kitchen to assuring quality measures are routinely done; spot checking logs frequently for accuracy of data and conducts weekly kitchen safety/sanitation audits
- Participates in the survey process; instructs staff in matters of conduct and disclosure; maintains a presence at all times while surveyors are on-site and directs the timely collection of information required by the survey team. Undertakes corrective action while survey is in progress, if appropriate; works with other hospital departments to develop survey plan of correction, as needed.
- Serves on various committees as required by company standards, regulations, and/or appointment by immediate supervisor
Labor Management & Staff Training
- Assumes responsibility for recruiting, selecting, and training culinary staff
- Works with Human Resources to assure all necessary new hire paperwork is completed
- Completes or oversees new hire and annual competency evaluation per company policy on all department staff
- Prepares or delegates the preparation of work schedules to maintain adequate staffing in the department; retains records per policy
- Provides or oversees department orientation to all new employees
- Evaluates employee’s competency upon hire and annually
- Evaluates or oversees evaluation of employee performance, conducting 90 day and annual reviews in a timely manner
- Schedules and/or conducts monthly in-services for culinary staff; holds routine department meetings
- Directs the menu management process (menu preparation, process for diet order changes, room changes, new admits and discharges, updating patient information in system, printing tray tickets, inputting patient menu selections, etc)
- Provides week-at-a-glance and therapeutic spreads for department staff reference.
- Provides production sheets and standardized recipes to staff to ensure proper food preparation.
- Ensures all patient snack orders are checked against the diet order and provides a production sheet for snack preparation; ensures all snacks are labeled properly and distributed to patients timely.
- Communicates patients’ concerns or dissatisfactions with diet to the dietitian for further follow up and education as needed.
Flow of Food Management
- Organizes or oversee the organization of food preparation and service by using production sheets and planned menus for patients, cafeteria, and catering; cook huddles as needed
- Ensure proper food preparation preserving nutrient content, quality, flavor, and appearance per state and federal regulations.
- Oversees the monitoring of food temperatures (internal cooking, holding for each meal) through the use of temperature logs to ensure food safety
- Supervises or delegates supervision of staff to ensure food is prepared in accordance to all food safety, sanitation regulations and accuracy based on therapeutic menus/recipes
- Monitors tray line assembly for accuracy and timely delivery of meals (patients and café)
- Ensures routine delivery of floor stock to nursing units and administration
- Stays abreast of federal, state, and local regulations for food safety and sanitation
- Handles all food recalls with urgency and assures effected product is handled properly
- Supervises or delegates supervision of dish room procedures for cleaning and sanitizing dishware, meal delivery carts and pots/pans to enforce department policies and proper procedure.
Education (must have one of the following qualifications; check state regulations for mandatory qualifications)
- Registered dietitian OR
- Certified dietary manager
Food Safety Training:
- Food protection manager certification from an ANSI-CFP program (i.e. ServSafe®)
- Experience in managing food services in a healthcare facility, acute care or skilled nursing, highly preferred.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.