Director of Pharmacy Nashville, Tennessee
Director of Pharmacy
Ascension Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital
Ascension Saint Thomas, in partnership with Kindred Healthcare, are to open the new
Ascension Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital in Midtown Nashville, TN.
Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital will serve nine counties and a population of 1.9 million—including more than 298,000 senior citizens. Upon completion and pending necessary regulatory approvals, the 40-bed, state-of-the-art facility will replace the 24-bed Acute Rehab Unit now located at Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital. Saint Thomas Rehabilitation Hospital will provide additional access to post-acute care by addressing Middle Tennessee’s shortage of dedicated beds for individuals who require extended neurological and cardiovascular care following serious health events.
Full Press Release:
With nearly 30 standalone inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs) across a dozen states, Kindred Hospital Rehabilitation Services (KHRS) is a partner of choice for many major hospital systems in the creation and success of joint-venture operations that outperform in both clinical and financial outcomes. We bring proven rehabilitation management and services expertise that benefits our partners as well as the nearly 50,000 IRF patients we see each year who seek to recover and get home quickly from any of a number of conditions, including stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury, orthopedic injury, neurological conditions, amputation and trauma.
IT'S SIMPLE. You want to work in a hospital setting where you are valued and appreciated - where you receive respect from your superiors and co-workers as well as the patients we serve.
You want to be challenged by your job without being overwhelmed by it. You want to play an instrumental role in helping a patient recover, sometimes against strong odds, and go home. What you want is Kindred Healthcare.
Our mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder we serve. Join us!
The Pharmacy Director functions as the Pharmacist in Charge and is responsible for operational management of the Pharmacy Department including functioning as the main pharmacist. The primary function of this position is to manage the department in compliance with the philosophy, policies, procedures, goals and budget of the department. The director incorporates and demonstrates customer service strategies in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Demonstrates administrative responsibilities related to daily operations management.
- Develops goals, objectives, policies and procedures for departmental operation
- Works to improve services provided and assure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Keeps leadership informed of operational activities, needs and problems.
- Drives installation and implementation of new services, procedures and pharmacy automation products.
- Fosters teamwork throughout the organization.
- Develops and executes Performance Improvement Programs involving pharmacy operations.
- Demonstrates skills in measuring, assessing, and improving organizational performance.
- Encourages professional development of departmental personnel through in-service education and external education
- Manages the pharmacy team including hiring, training, scheduling, resolving performance issues, coaching and mentoring.
- Reviews and approves Technician and Pharmacists schedules prior to distribution to staff.
- Meets regularly with pharmacy staff regarding pharmacy operations.
- Develops, implements and monitors appropriate staffing plans based on factors such as acuity and census.
- Coordinates and facilitates the performance reviews within the organizations recommended time frame using appropriate methods of assessing staff competence.
- Provides oversight for purchasing and inventory management.
- Demonstrates understanding of JC Standards, HCFA, CARF and State Standards and monitors department’s compliance.
- May act as a preceptor to pharmacy students or pharmacy residents
- Provides mentoring for pharmacy students on rotation consistent with college requirements.
- Prepares sterile and non-sterile compounds per USP standards
- Verifies physician medication orders with accuracy and timeliness
- Monitors and evaluates the six critical processes of medication management; determines risk points and is an active participant with physicians and clinical staff in continuous quality and performance improvement.
- Verifies and approves the work of Pharmacy Technician(s).
- Responsible for the management and utilization of the computerized pharmacy system.
- Orders and stores medications, keeping them safe and effective.
- Monitors drug therapy for appropriateness and promotes/ evaluates rational drug therapy that improves pharmaceutical care. Performs anticoagulant monitoring.
- Maintains positive relationships with all customers.
- Complies with regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides information to the medical staff and administration regarding the cost effective use of pharmaceuticals.
- Works with physicians, specialists and other clinicians to implement appropriate guidelines and protocols for drug use based on evidence based medicine, national guidelines, and literature based protocols.
- Provides drug information to nurses, physicians, and other pharmacists to ensure current information on drug therapy.
- Provides specialized services to assist nursing and patients manage conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, etc.
- Recommends changes to drug therapy based on patient assessment.
- Provides and documents clinical interventions, therapy recommendations and other clinical activities according to department policy and procedure in order to maintain accurate and complete patient records
- Participates in the Medication Reconciliation activities of the Pharmacy Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS Pharmacy required, PharmD and/or MBA/MS (or equivalent education/experience) preferred
- Must hold a current state license to practice pharmacy.
- Minimum five years’ experience in hospital pharmacy is desirable.
- Demonstrated management/leadership skills and/or program management
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.