Resource Director of Nursing, Kindred Behavioral Health Louisville, Kentucky
We are recruiting a Resource Director of Nursing to join our Kindred Behavioral Health Division. This position will be a work from home role.
Resource Director of Nursing (DON) provides multi-site leadership to the facility as assigned. Directs and coordinates functions and activities of nursing department and assigned clinical operation departments. Consults with and advises Administrator/CEO/COO on the general operation of the hospital. Develops nursing department’s goals, objectives, standards of performance, policies and procedures. Organizes nursing department according to administrative and nursing service guidelines; ensures compliance with legal, organizational, and medical staff standards. Has authority and responsibility for establishing, directing, and implementing the Standards of Nursing Practice and financial matters related to all nursing areas and functions at assigned facility.
- Manages multiple subordinate department managers who supervise staff members in multiple departments that may include, but is not limited to: Nursing, Quality Management, Social Services, Laboratory, Respiratory Therapy, Radiology, and Case Management. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the subordinate units/departments. Evaluates the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and reports these results to the Administrator.
- Maintains a sound plan of corporate organization establishing policies to insure adequate management development and to provide for capable management succession. Develops and installs procedures and controls to promote communication and adequate information flow. Establishes operating policies consistent with the Administrator’s broad policies and objectives and ensures their execution.
- Ensures that the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood. Maintains an environment of collaboration and cooperation among hospital departments. May assume the administrative responsibilities of the Administrator in his/her absence.
- Promotes staff development by establishing a professional environment that supports accountability and autonomy. Shares knowledge and skills with nursing staff, students, colleagues, and others and acts as a role model and mentor.
- Leads nurse recruitment and retention efforts by planning and implementing new and creative initiatives to both attract and retain nurses and other key employees. Directs the interview and selection process for new nursing staff.
- Provides leadership in human resource development and management. Provides guidance and counsel to nursing leadership and staff. Maintains confidentiality of employee information to assure employee rights are protected. Provides adequate communication mechanisms within all departments and disciplines.
- Adheres to and promotes Equal Employment Opportunities and the facility's Affirmative Action Plan. Demonstrates ability to fairly and consistently apply the disciplinary process.
- Contributes to and/or leads the appropriate initiatives outlined in the Strategic Quality Plan. Serves on the Hospital Quality Council. Understands and supports the organization’s continuous quality initiatives. Represents nursing services on various corporate, hospital and medical staff committees/meetings.
- Maintains a system which verifies licensure/certification, qualifications, experience and competency of each member of the nursing department and evaluates each member on a timely basis. Develops a strong working knowledge of the electronic medical record.
- Reviews and monitors work schedules assignments and patient classification daily to assess the appropriate number and skill level of personnel required to meet patient needs and develops appropriate staffing plans. Develops and implements policies and procedures and provides resources for maintaining patient safety and compliance with state/governmental regulations pertaining to nursing services and to the hospital.
- Assures compliance with all regulatory and accreditation requirements. Maintains survey readiness at all times. Participates in and coordinates survey preparation. Develops, implements, and monitors corrective action plans as needed. Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with the standards set out in the Company’s Code of Business Conduct, its policies and procedures, the Corporate Compliance Agreement, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable professional standards.
- Develops a positive image and relationship in the community and serves as a visible advocate for the hospital in working with area nursing programs, other healthcare institutions and community organizations. Collaborates with medical staff and other departments in planning and organizing the implementation of clinical services and programs as appropriate. Continually strives to achieve ongoing professional growth and maintains personal competency.
- Collaborates with hospital leadership in the preparation of a budget and the development of a capital expenditure plan for the nursing department. Responsible for cost controls to insure maximum effectiveness of funds expended from approved departmental budgets. Assures fiscal resource allocation to support current and potential nursing objectives and initiatives to optimize the provision of quality, cost effective care. Responds appropriately to budget variances, including determining justifications and/or developing corrective measures.
- Participates with hospital leaders, governing board, medical staff and clinical staff in developing the hospital’s mission, strategic plans, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans and policies. Develops, implements, and improves the care delivery model by assessing quality and efficiency and leading appropriate change that meets or exceeds customer expectations. Serves as an active member of the senior leadership team of the hospital interacting with the medical executive staff, governing board and other groups as appropriate.
- Establishes credibility with patients, physicians, staff, and colleagues through the continuation of excellent patient care and the enhancement of clinical competencies across the organization as appropriate. Acts as an advocate for patients and families.
- Networks with state, regional and national peers and colleagues to share ideas and conduct mutual problem solving. Seeks experiences to advance one’s skills and knowledge base through such activities as education, certification, and participation in professional organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
- Knowledge of accreditation standards and compliance requirements.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking, appropriate prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work under stress and to respond quickly in emergency situations.
- Ability to direct the preparation of short term and long range plans and budgets based on broad corporate goals and growth objectives.
- Ability to effectively present written and verbal information to top management, medical staff, public groups and Governing Body.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports and contracts.
- Ability to spend a limited amount of time on travel required.
- Approximate percent of time required to travel: Limited
- Bachelor's degree in nursing, healthcare administration, business administration, finance, or clinical specialty. MSN preferred.
- Registered Nurse in one state of practice.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in healthcare administration/management.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in hospital management in an inpatient psychiatric environment.
- Graduate level education may substitute on a year-to-year basis for the required experience.
Depending on candidate’s abilities, we may fill this position at a different level.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.