Resource Chief Clinical OfficerLouisville, Kentucky
- Participates in planning and creating the hospital’s strategic, operational, service design and other organizational plans and policies to achieve the mission and vision of the hospital.
- Plans and develops departmental budgets, revenue, capital and operational expenses, sufficient number of staff, and any other plans for allocation of fiscal or other resources according to the scope of services provided.
- Develops, designs and provides for a written scope of services, departmental policies and procedures that guide and support the provision and integration of services according to mission and vision of the hospital.
- Directs the coordination and integration of departmental services with other departments and the hospital's primary functions.
- Communicates the hospital’s mission, vision, and plans with staff that guides them in their day-to-day activities. Promotes and motivates staff members to implement department and hospital operational, programmatic and other plans.
- Recommends and determines the sufficient number of staff to provide services and defines qualifications, performance expectations and competence of each person.
- Provides for orientation, in-service training, continuing education, annual performance and competency reviews of department personnel to ensure staff is competent to provide services.
- Participates in hospital and departmental performance improvement activities to measure and assess the quality of services provided.
B: Job Specific
- Manages multiple subordinate department managers who supervise staff members in multiple departments that may include, but is not limited to: Nursing, Quality Management, Social Services, Laboratory, Respiratory Therapy, Radiology, and Case Management.
- Ability to direct the preparation of short term and long range plans and budgets based on broad corporate goals and growth objectives.
- Maintains a sound plan of corporate organization establishing policies to insure adequate management development and to provide for capable management succession.
- Develops and installs procedures and controls to promote communication and adequate information flow.
- Establishes operating policies consistent with the Chief Executive Officer’s broad policies and objectives and ensures their execution.
- Evaluates the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and reports these results to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Ensures that the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the subordinate units/departments.
- Maintains an environment of collaboration and cooperation among hospital departments.
- Ability to effectively present written and verbal information to top management, medical staff, public groups and Governing Body.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports and contracts.
- May assume the administrative responsibilities of the CEO in his/her absence.
- Promotes staff development by establishing a professional environment that supports accountability and autonomy.
- Shares knowledge and skills with nursing staff, students, colleagues, and others and acts as a role model and mentor.
- Leads nurse recruitment and retention efforts by planning and implementing new and creative initiatives to both attract and retain nurses and other key employees.
- Provides leadership in human resource development and management.
- Provides guidance and counsel to nursing leadership and staff.
- Provides adequate communication mechanisms within all departments and disciplines.
- Maintains confidentiality of employee information to assure employee rights are protected.
- Adheres to and promotes Equal Employment Opportunities and the facility's Affirmative Action Plan.
- Demonstrates ability to fairly and consistently apply the disciplinary process.
- Directs the interview and selection process for new nursing staff.
- Contributes to and/or leads the appropriate initiatives outlined in the Strategic Quality Plan.
- Maintains a system which verifies licensure/certification, qualifications, experience and competency of each member of the nursing department and evaluates each member on a timely basis.
- Serves on the Hospital Quality Council. Understands and supports the organization’s continuous quality initiatives. Represents nursing services on various corporate, hospital and medical staff committees/meetings.
- Develops a strong working knowledge of the electronic medical record.
- Reviews and monitors work schedules assignments and patient classification daily to assess the appropriate number and skill level of personnel required to meet patient needs and develops appropriate staffing plans.
- Assures compliance with all regulatory and accreditation requirements. Maintains survey readiness at all times. Participates in and coordinates survey preparation. Develops, implements, and monitors corrective action plans as needed.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures and provides resources for maintaining patient safety and compliance with state/governmental regulations pertaining to nursing services and to the hospital.
- Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with the standards set out in the Company’s Code of Business Conduct, its policies and procedures, the Corporate Compliance Agreement, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable professional standards.
- Develops a positive image and relationship in the community and serves as a visible advocate for the hospital in working with area nursing programs, other healthcare institutions and community organizations.
- Collaborates with medical staff and other departments in planning and organizing the implementation of clinical services and programs as appropriate.
- Continually strives to achieve ongoing professional growth and maintains personal competency.
- Collaborates with hospital leadership in the preparation of a budget and the development of a capital expenditure plan for the nursing department.
- Responsible for cost controls to insure maximum effectiveness of funds expended from approved departmental budgets.
- Assures fiscal resource allocation to support current and potential nursing objectives and initiatives to optimize the provision of quality, cost effective care.
- Responds appropriately to budget variances, including determining justifications and/or developing corrective measures.
- Participates with hospital leaders, governing board, medical staff and clinical staff in developing the hospital’s mission, strategic plans, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans and policies.
- Serves as an active member of the senior leadership team of the hospital interacting with the medical executive staff, governing board and other groups as appropriate.
- Establishes credibility with patients, physicians, staff, and colleagues through the continuation of excellent patient care and the enhancement of clinical competencies across the organization as appropriate.
- Develops, implements, and improves the care delivery model by assessing quality and efficiency and leading appropriate change that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Acts as an advocate for patients and families.
- Networks with state, regional and national peers and colleagues to share ideas and conduct mutual problem solving.
- Seeks experiences to advance one’s skills and knowledge base through such activities as education, certification, and participation in professional organizations.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify potential confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Kindred’s Code of Conduct, Kindred policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws and applicable standards.
C: Company Specific
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty.
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position.
- Consistently demonstrates Guest Relation’s skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
Education: Bachelor's degree in healthcare administration, business administration, finance, or clinical specialty. Master’s degree in healthcare administration, business administration, or clinical specialty preferred.Equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may substitute for education requirements.
Licenses/Certification: Registered Nurse in the state of the hospital.
Experience: Minimum of five years’ experience in healthcare administration/management with a minimum of two years’ experience at a senior nursing management level. Minimum of five years’ experience in hospital management in an inpatient, acute care environment. Graduate level education may substitute on a year-to-year basis for the required experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
- Knowledge of accreditation standards and compliance requirements.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking, appropriate prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work under stress and to respond quickly in emergency situations.
- Ability to spend a limited amount of time on travel required.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.