Coding Specialist for STACsLouisville, Kentucky
Scion Health is recruiting for a Coding Specialist for Scion STACs to join our Coding Operations department.
Job Summary: Analyze and translate healthcare diagnosis, procedures and medical services taken from physician documenation, such as H&P, Consults, Progress notes and Operative notes, into alphanumeric codes that are captured in an encoder in order to populate a DRG (Diagnostic Related Groupings) or APC (Ambulatory Payment Classification) which will be used to create bills for submission to Medicare or health insurance companies inorder to receive hospital payment for services provided.
Essential Functions :( Those functions that the individual who holds the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation).
- Provide consistent, accurate, and timely coding of medical records for appropriate billing and/or data collection. To provide guidelines for adherence to the Corporate Compliance Initiatives regarding the requirements applicable to Medicare’s Prospective Payment System for long-term care facilities.
- Prioritize coding functions to assure records are coded within facility defined number of days from discharge.
- Collaborates with the team to maintain and exceed Discharged Not Final Coded (DNFC) goals.
- Attend weekly calls related to coding and clinical documentation and timely billing opportunities.
- Code discharged patient records focusing on oldest accounts first with higher dollar amount as priority.
- Correspond with CCDI regarding coding and documentation issues utilizing appropriate coding and CDI software daily.
- Knowledge of the principles of medical record coding. Expertise and credentials in medical records coding.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in order to meet job demands.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present information in an organized manner on a routine basis.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with peers, superiors and subordinates while working under stressful situations.
- Ability to manage several projects/tasks simultaneously.
- Technical understanding of coding operating systems (hardware and software).
- Communicates effectively and exhibits courteous behavior when dealing with coding department employees, as well as hospital employees served.
- Must read, write and speak fluent English.
- Must have good and regular attendance.
- Approximate percent of time required to travel:
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School or equivalency diploma or satisfactory completion of a college certificate program in Medical Records Coding of at least 30 credits.
- Certified or licensed individuals, CCS, CCA, CPC, RHIT, RHIA, RN, CPC, COC
- 3 years experience as a medical records coder in a health care facility; or satisfactory completion of a college certificate program in Medical Records Coding of at least 30 credits, and one year of experience working with medical records in a medical records unit in a health care facility; or two years experience equivalent combination of the training and experience.
Depending on candidate’s qualifications, we may fill this at a different level.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.