Health Information Manager - Palomar Health Rehabilitation InstituteEscondido, California
Health Information Manager
Palomar Health Rehabilitation Institute - Escondido, CA
The two-story, 58,000-square-foot facility features 52 inpatient beds and is located on the campus of Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, California. The new hospital offers treatment services to a variety of rehabilitation patient types, including brain injury and stroke patients. This is San Diego County’s first standalone rehabilitation hospital.
Our culture of caring for our patients and residents begin with our core values – our employees. We are committed to fostering professional growth and dedicated healthcare teams that make us the provider of choice. We embrace a diverse workforce and understand that hiring outstanding people is the key to providing quality care – and quality care is what we do every day!
As a Health Information Manager you will:
Responsible for planning, developing and maintaining the Health Information Services department of the hospital in accordance with state and federal guidelines, accreditation standards as well as hospital policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient care information to ensure patient rights are protected.
- Assist in planning, organizing, directing and maintaining Health Information Services in accordance with established policies, procedures, state and federal regulations and accreditation standards (i.e. HIPAA, JCAHO, and CARF).
- Assist in establishing and maintaining procedures for the collection, coding, abstracting, filing and retrieval of medical records.
- Work with staff physicians in getting records completed within the required timeframe.
- Serve as a resource for hospital administration and other staff regarding health information issues, rules and regulations and accreditation standards (i.e. HIPAA, JCAHO).
- Review policies and procedures as required by administration and participate in making recommended changes.
- Code or supervise credentialed coder and be proficient in inpatient rehab coding rules such that in the absence of the coder, can continue the coding process with accuracy including transmission of Medicare cases.
- Supervise other HIM employees which include initial and on-going training in HIM functions.
- Guide nursing staff in keeping any paper-based records neat and orderly during the patient’s hospitalization.
- At discharge, process records within required timeframes: assembly, analysis, coding, and abstracting.
- Review and process requests for patient information within required timeframe and serve as resource for other staff who may be involved in requests after regular business hours.
- Prepare and present quarterly HIM report to CQPI Committee.
- Develop and maintain good rapport with inter-disciplinary team members to help ensure that medical records are properly maintained and problem areas identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Coordinates the activities of the Health Information Review Program and reports findings to the appropriate committee in a timely manner.
- Maintain a neat and orderly HIM Department.
- Performs other related duties and activities as directed and assigned by supervisor or HIM support center staff.
- Participates in the overall quality assessment and improvement program activities.
- Participates in continuing education classes and training programs.
- Prepare records and reports for committee review as required.
- Assist in presentations during orientation and periodic staff training dealing with Health Information topics.
- Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Must be knowledgeable of medical terminology and coding.
- Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and Joint Commission regulations.
- Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wears identification while on duty.
- Attends departmental in services and completes annual competencies/education requirements.
- Works at maintaining a good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with physicians, departments and staff.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with policies and procedures regarding department operations, fire, safety, infection control and emergency management.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- RHIT (or eligible) or RHIA (or eligible) or Coding Certification by AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association).
- Prefer two+ (2) years of experience in health information leadership in a health-related facility preferably a hospital setting.