Director, Plant OperationsEscondido, California
Director of Plant Operations
Palomar Health Rehabilitation Institute - Escondido, CA
Kindred Healthcare and Palomar Health have signed a Joint Venture and opened a new acute inpatient rehabilitation hospital. The two-story, 58,000-square-foot facility features 52 inpatient beds and is located on the campus of Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, California. The new hospital offers treatment services to a variety of rehabilitation patient types, including brain injury and stroke patients. This is San Diego County’s first standalone rehabilitation hospital.
Our culture of caring for our patients and residents begin with our core values – our employees. We are committed to fostering professional growth and dedicated healthcare teams that make us the provider of choice. We embrace a diverse workforce and understand that hiring outstanding people is the key to providing quality care – and quality care is what we do every day!
Responsible for planning, organizing, directing and/or completing all activities of the Plant Operations Department which are necessary in maintaining the physical structures, HVAC, mechanical, electrical systems, utility systems and grounds of the hospital in an operative and safe working condition. Responsible for maintaining performance improvement activities within the Plant Operations Department and ensuring Joint Commission preparedness to comply with Environment of Care and Life Safety requirements. Also oversees the Environmental Services Department.
- Develops and recommends departmental policies and procedures.
- Develops programs to ensure departmental effectiveness.
- Monitors existing policies, procedures and programs for effectiveness.
- Develops, implements, administers and modifies programs to maintain the physical plant, grounds, and equipment of the hospital through effective utilization of personnel and materials.
- Maintains required documentation for state, federal and other regulatory agencies.
- Develops and determines priorities and monitors status of special projects on an ongoing basis.
- Assures complete and proper logging of files and records and required cost computation of time spent, materials and supplies used for each completed requisition or work order.
- Inspects building and grounds to ensure conformance with established standards and regulations.
- Establishes preventive maintenance schedules and prioritizes repair and maintenance work to minimize disruption of hospital operations.
- Directs and maintains plant engineering functions of the hospital. Develops systems to control the efficient and effective use of all utilities.
- Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the functions and activities of facilities management and engineering, loss prevention management and telecommunications.
- Assigns individual tasks, requisitions, supplies and equipment and oversees training.
- Plans for and oversees major repairs, renovations, and new construction. Serves as the liaison between hospital and contractor during construction phasing and implementation.
- Interprets blueprints, works from sketches or verbal instructions.
- Develops budget for the unit and allocates funds within budget limit to accomplish objectives. Monitors variance against budget on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in hospital/medical staff committee meetings as requested. Attends and serves on professional/civic organizations as hospital representative.
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of department reports. Prepares periodic reports for management, as required.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Develops, implements and monitors the hospital wide safety program.
- Is strategically involved in safety education and continuing education of all employees and training.
- Works closely with each facility department in safety management and development of departmental safety programs.
- Updates and maintains accurate safety management policies and procedures for the hospital.
- Has operational involvement in environmental rounding.
- Compiles and is involved in gathering and reporting accident and incident information.
- Prepares reports of hospital safety management activities to the Quality Council.
- Acts as the Safety Officer with the responsibility to act in the event of emergency and to disseminate whatever action needed to effect immediate corrections for life threatening conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates Guest Relation’s skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- One (1) year certificate from college or technical school; or 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of utility systems management.
- Experience in hospital operations and Joint Commission preparedness highly preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.