Physical Therapist Assistant - IRF PRNEdwardsville, Illinois
The Physical Therapy Assistant functions under the direct supervision of the Physical Therapist and as directed by a licensed physician, is responsible for a specific patient’s care. The PTA assumes responsibility and accountability for providing physical therapy modalities and treatment procedures as determined by a treatment plan established by a Physical Therapist in order to restore function and prevent disability following patient illness or injury. The PTA carries out these responsibilities in accordance with established hospital and departmental policies while maintaining the highest degree of quality patient care.
- Under guidance of supervising PT: Acquires pertinent information and implements comprehensive program using varied techniques and treatment activities; reviews and modifies treatment in response to changing patient needs; identifies equipment and discharge needs.
- Is aware of patient injury/diagnosis and takes all necessary precautions for observing indications and contradictions.
- Assists the patient in the preparation for treatment/modality as necessary.
- Provides treatment to diverse diagnostic populations and completes supporting documentation according to hospital policy and State Practice Act.
- Communicates collaborates with support personnel regarding treatment orders as directed by the supervising PT.
- Applies the physical agents, therapeutic exercises or gait-training activates as outlined by the licensed PT, in the patient POC. Progresses patients in an appropriate manner when deemed necessary by the PT.
- Conducts the class/group situations (stroke, SCI, BI) as appropriate.
- Observes treatment affect, accomplishment of short and long term goals and recommends change to the supervising PT, if needed.
- Complies with department, hospital, and regulatory agency guidelines with respect to ethics, legal issues and supervisory relationships. Demonstrates professional accountability per APTA Physical Therapy Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Demonstrates appropriate and effective written, verbal and non-verbal communication with team members through the continuum of care.
- Completes timely and accurate documentation, including QI scoring, of patient treatment in the patient medical record as indicated
- The population is adult and geriatric patients requiring an adult medical rehabilitation program and services.
- Able to assess patient pain interfering with optimal level of function of participation in rehabilitation; makes appropriate interventions to reduce pain after consulting with supervising OTR/L and makes appropriate physician contact as indicated.
- When necessary, instructs care giver/family members in home exercise program as related to the patient’s functional and ambulatory status: discusses necessary equipment for the home situation.
- Protects patient confidentiality in regard to medical, emotional, and social status.
- Keeps the supervising therapist informed of patient’s status, problem areas, progress, etc.
- Perceives the existence of problems and notifies supervising therapist for implementation of safe, effective and timely solutions.
- Demonstrates appropriate safety measures when implementing treatment programs.
- Provides input/suggestions for the physical functioning of the department in the areas of equipment management, space utilization, storage, etc.
- Records daily charges within day of treatment
- Assists in preparation/maintenance of daily treatment schedule.
- Writes progress notes in accordance with departmental policy.
- Develops home programs and instructs patients in the programs as delegated by the supervising physical therapist.
- Provides written and updated treatment/coverage programs for days off.
- Performs discharge planning under the direct supervision of the PT (prescriptions, equipment requests, and referrals).
- Reports on patient’s status at team and family conferences when necessary. (Team conferences should be attended by the supervising PT and with the PTA in attendance.)
- Assists in inventory and ordering of supplies and equipment.
- Assists in maintenance of safe, clean work environment.
- Assists in preparation/maintenance of daily treatment schedule.
- Assists in program development and preparation to meet regulatory agency standards i.e. Joint Commission, CARF.
- Observes, measures and records the cardiovascular responses of heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation.
- Plans and presents educational programs for department; hospital and/or community.
- Provides orientation, instruction, supervision and/or guidance to ancillary staff, PTA students, and volunteers.
- May transport patients/equipment to/from therapy gym.
- Uses computer system to assist in preparation/maintenance/printing of work list and entering of charges.
- Utilizes specialized equipment, testing procedures and/or advanced treatment techniques with appropriate competency
- Other duties as assigned
- Current state licensure as a Physical Therapy Assistant.
experience in the care of patients preferred.
- Current BLS/CPR.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicated the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates Guest Relation’s skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Kindred’s Code of Conduct, Kindred policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable standards.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Knowledge of equipment utilized in the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of Physical Therapy.
- Knowledge of therapy equipment operation, maintenance, and ability to report the need for repairs.
- Must be able to determine appropriate patient procedures and evaluate results.
- Ability to maintain control and respond calmly and positively during crisis situations (i.e., Codes).
- Appropriate telephone communication skills.
Physical and Safety Requirements:
- Good general health and stress coping ability
- Full mobility and ability to participate in vigorous activity
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with all constituents (patients, families, peers, and other healthcare team members)
- Possess near vision acuity for accurate reading of equipment and recording in patient medical record
- Must be physically able to lift, support and move patients.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising patient care.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.