Behavioral Health Intake Clinician - Danville, KYDanville, Kentucky
Kindred Behavioral Health is seeking a passionate, creative and goal-oriented Behavioral Health Intake Clinician to join the team at Ephraim McDowell and have an immediate impact on expanding on our success, growing our services and fulfilling our mission of improving the lives of all we touch.
This individual is responsible for working with internal and external customers to identify patients appropriate for admission to the Behavioral Health Unit. The individual is responsible for conducting a crisis assessment as identified in the essential job specific functions. Conducts initial insurance verification. Ensures initial admission consents are signed and assessments documented prior to hand off to primary nurse.
Essential Functions: (Those functions that the individual who holds the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation).
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced hospital environment
- Ability to have flexible hours in order to meet business needs.
- Demonstrates effective understanding of legal issues associated with assessment/admission for Voluntary vs. Involuntary status, i.e. 72 Hour Hold, EMTALLA and Mental Inquest Warrant processes as defined in state of practice.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with internal and external customers as well as maintains patient/family confidentiality and provides sensitive, respectful and compassionate customer service at all times.
- Ability to work with children, adolescents or adults (18 and over) experiencing mental illness and acute psychiatric crisis.
- Must demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of conducting a crisis assessments that includes a mental status exam, suicide and violence assessment, and substance abuse assessment.
- Knowledge of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder V (DSM V) or most current version.
- Understanding of mental illness and stages of development.
- Manages and responds to incoming phone and fax inquires and in-person emergency department evaluations within the established turn around timeframes.
- Reviews and obtains signatures for admission paperwork on all admissions for the medical record.
Ability to present clinical findings to attending psychiatrist and charge nurse.
Ability to coordinate the transfer of patients from other facilities.
Maintains the standard of nursing care and implements policies and procedures of the hospital, intake and admission department and nursing department.
Documents patient admission assessment, and other pertinent information, completely in the patient’s medical record according to nursing standards and policies.
Makes referrals to other disciplines based on assessment.
Receives physician’s orders, ensures transcription is accurate and documents completion.
Performs treatments and provide services to level of licensure.
Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, physicians, and other healthcare providers.
Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
Initiates or assists with emergency measures for sudden adverse developments in patients’ condition.
Communicates appropriately and clearly to management, co-workers, and physicians.
Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs of patients and family; communicates with Social Service/Discharge Planner regarding both in hospital and post discharge needs.
Participates in orientation, instruction/training of new personnel.
Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
Maintains monthly reports on statistical information regarding referrals by type, financial, referral source, physician as requested by Business Development Liaison and Program Director.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Able to organized tasks, develop action plans, set priorities and function under stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Must maintain attendance according to attendance policy.
- Approximate percent of time required to travel: None
- Perform other related duties as assigned
As a Behavioral Health Intake Clinician you will have:
- Graduation from an accredited Bachelors of Science in Nursing, Associate Degree in Nursing.
- Minimum Master's Degree in Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy or Professional Counseling
- Current state licensure as Registered Nurse. BCLS certification. ACLS preferred.
- Independent Practice Scope Licensure in State of Practice
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a psychiatric setting. Experience in crisis counseling and crisis evaluations preferred.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.