Physical Therapist Assistant Coralville, Iowa
Mercy Iowa City Rehabilitation Hospital is a state-of-the-art, 40-bed inpatient acute rehabilitation hospital dedicated to the treatment and recovery of individuals who have experienced the debilitating effects of a severe injury or illness.
Our rehabilitation programs provide ongoing care and specialized treatment to patients throughout their recovery journey. We offer customized, intense rehabilitation tailored to the individual needs of those recovering from stroke, brain injury, neurological conditions, trauma, spinal cord injury, amputation, and orthopedic injury.
Mercy Iowa City Rehabilitation Hospital strives to maximize the health, function, and quality of life of those we serve through comprehensive physical medicine and rehabilitation programs.
- Is aware of patient injury/diagnosis and takes all necessary precautions for observing indications and contradictions.
- Assists the patient in the preparation for treatment/modality as necessary.
- Applies the physical agens, therapeutic exercises or gait-training activites as outlined by the licensed PT, in the patient POC. Progresses patients in an appropriate manner when deemed necessary by the PT.
- Conducts the class/group situations (stroke, SCI, BI) as appropriate.
- Communicates with support personnel for clarification or elaborations of treatment orders as directed byt the supervising PT.
- When necessary, instructs care giver/family members in home exercise and related to the patient’s functional and ambulatory status: discusses necessary equipment for the home situation.
- Keeps the supervising therapist informed of patient’s status, problem areas, progress, etc.
- Perceives the existence of problem and notifies supervising therapist for implementation of safe, effective and timely solutions.
- Demonstrates appropriate safety measures when implementing treatment programs.
- Supervises and guides clinical techs and volunteers in the performance of their duties.
- Provides input/suggestions for the physical functioning of the department in the areas of equipment management, space utilization, storage, etc.
- Basic knowledge of pressure wound staging, types of wounds and wound care prodcuts.
- Carries out wound care treatments based on POC utilizing appropriate would care products and techniques.
- Records daily charges within day of treatment
- Writes progress notes in accordance with departmental policy.
- Writes home programs and instructs patients in the programs as delegated byt the supervising physical therapist.
- Provides written and updated treatment/coverage programs for days off.
- Performs discharge planning under the direct supervision of the PT (prescriptions, equipment requests, and referrals).
- Reports on patient’s status at patient care reviews when necessary. (Initial and discharge conferences should be attended by the supervisiting PT and with the PTA in attendance.)
- Instruct patient and primary care provider inpatient’s care provider in patient’s functional status, equipment needs and home exercise programs as delegated by the PT.
- Current licensure as a Physical Therapy Assistant in the state where the hospital is located.
- One year of experience in the care of patients preferred.
- Current BLS/CPR.
- Mandatory Reporter Certificate for adult and child.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.