Certified Nursing Assistant Coralville, Iowa
$3,000 Sign On Bonus
Mercy Iowa City Rehabilitation Hospital is a state-of-the-art, 40-bed inpatient acute rehabilitation hospital dedicated to the treatment and recovery of individuals who have experienced the debilitating effects of a severe injury or illness.
Our rehabilitation programs provide ongoing care and specialized treatment to patients throughout their recovery journey. We offer customized, intense rehabilitation tailored to the individual needs of those recovering from stroke, brain injury, neurological conditions, trauma, spinal cord injury, amputation, and orthopedic injury.
Mercy Iowa City Rehabilitation Hospital strives to maximize the health, function, and quality of life of those we serve through comprehensive physical medicine and rehabilitation programs.
Assist nursing staff with patients’ personal care, emotional support, and activities of daily living. More complex duties performed under supervision of licensed nursing personnel.
- Performs patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient’s age.
- Provides morning care which may include bed bath, shower or whirlpool, oral hygiene, combing hair, back care, changing bed linens, cleaning overbed table and bedside stand, straightening room and other general care as necessary throughout the day.
- Provides evening care which includes hands/face washing as needed, oral hygiene, back rubs, peri-care, freshening linen, cleaning overbed tables, straightening room and other general care as needed.
- Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain.
- Prepares patients for meals; serves and removes food trays and assists with meals or feeds patients if necessary.
- Distributes drinking water and other nourishments to patients.
- Answers patient call lights, anticipates patient's needs and makes rounds to assigned patients.
- Assists patients with the handling of personal property: dentures, glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, prosthetic devices, etc.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Transports patients to and from various departments in the hospital.
- Reports and, when appropriate, records any changes observed in condition or behavior of patients and unusual incidents.
- Assists in the preparation of admissions, transfers and discharge of patients.
- Assists licensed nursing staff with treatment procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to revise plan of care as indicated by the patient’s response to treatment and evaluate overall plan daily for effectiveness.
- Integrates the plan of care with Rehabilitation Services treatment plan to attain patient's optimal level of functioning.
- Provides general nursing care: positioning patients, lifting and turning patients, applying/utilizing special equipment, assisting patients with the bedpan, commode; assists ambulating patients. Uses correct body mechanics.
- Checks patient for reddened areas or skin breakdown and reports to licensed nursing staff.
- Obtains and records temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, weight, intake and output.
- Makes rounds with oncoming shift to ensure the unit is left in good condition.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to nurse, supervisor, co-workers, physicians and the Rehabilitation Services staff.
- Consults other departments, as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity; ensures patient confidentiality.
- Practices careful, efficient and non-wasteful use of supplies and linens and follows established charge procedures for patient charge items.
- Follows infection control procedures. Keeps the unit clean and organized.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Response to the patient is appropriate in emergency or physically distressful situation.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the nurse assistant’s scope of practice.
- Other duties as assigned
- Completion of course for nursing assistants
- Current state certification as a Nursing Assistant
- CPR/BCLS Certification preferred
- Minimum six months experience in an acute or long term facility preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.