Occupational Therapist MercyOne Clive Rehab HospitalClive, Iowa
Mercy Rehabilitation Hospital, a joint venture with Mercy Medical Center Des Moines and Kindred Health Care, is dedicated to treatment and recovery of individuals who have experienced the debilitation effects of a severe injury or illness. Our rehab programs provide ongoing care and specialized treatments tailored to individual patient needs recovering from stroke, brain injury, neurological conditions, trauma, spinal cord injury, amputation and orthopedic injury.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for the care of those patients being treated by Certified Occupational Therapist Assistants and Occupational Therapy Aides. May be assigned to orient staff and students and assume the duties and responsibilities of the supervisor in the absence of that individual.
- Assesses patients’ needs; identifies and initiates appropriate occupational therapy interventions; works cooperatively with other patient team personnel in maintaining standards for professional occupational therapy practice and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Observes and evaluates treatment affect, accomplishment of short and long term goals. Recommends change to physician, if needed.
- Performs an appropriate assessment on each patient and performs reassessments, as per policy. Performs accurate and timely FIM scoring. The population is adult and geriatric patients requiring an adult medical rehabilitation program and services.
- Able to assess patient pain interfering with optimal level of function of participation in rehabilitation; makes appropriate interventions to reduce pain; makes appropriate physician contact for intervention.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning; family is included in teaching, as appropriate. Performs appropriate documentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency of occupational therapy modalities.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses phychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Maintains department cleanliness and safety.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formation of the plan of care.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff, and administrative team.
- Participates in patient/family conferences and team conferences.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and to function under stressful situations.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Consults other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies. Documents goals on the Interdisciplinary Care Plan on admission of the patient and provides updates regularly.
- Participates in educational staff performance improvement in-services. Assists with orientation and in-service training for certified department staff members. Participates in guidance and educational programs.
- Provides input in formulating budget, assists in evaluating department performance versus budget controls and takes appropriate action to remain within budget guidelines.
- Ensures that patient charges are accurate and entered on a timely basis.
- Participates in infection control, departmental equipment training, and organizational safety and fire safety programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current licensure as an Occupational Therapist in the state of Iowa or be eligible for temporary license with supervision based on current state guidelines.
- Graduate from an approved school of Occupational Therapy.
- Three (3) or more years of previous experience in all aspects of occupational therapy preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of physical medicine, physical therapy modalities, anatomy, and physiology.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English with additional languages preferred
- Current CPR certification.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your career and future opportunities.