Clinical Lab Assistant FT DaysChicago, Illinois
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station log; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel.
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification. Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and fingersticks.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule; recording results in the quality-control log; identifying and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, or laboratory testing personnel; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and TJC standards.
- Enhances phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Assists with laboratory clerical work. Answers phones, receives specimens and performs pre-analytical preparation for samples including send-outs
- Coordinates and actively enhances laboratory workflow by loading instruments, setting up plates, and performing waived testing per laboratory procedures. Performs pending log resolution. Calls critical values to actionable care providers
Education: Minimum of a High School diploma or Equivalent
Licenses/Certification: PBT (ASCP) or MLA (AMT) strongly preferred but not required
Experience: 0-3 years
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty.
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates Guest Relation’s skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Kindred’s Code of Conduct, Kindred policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable standards.
Service Excellence Elements
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your career and future opportunities.