Admissions Coordinator Beachwood, Ohio
UH Rehabilitation Hospital is proud to be recognized by Newsweek as one of America's Best Rehabilitation Hospitals in 2021!
UH Rehabilitation Hospital is a joint venture between University Hospitals and Kindred Healthcare, bringing together the expertise of both world-class organizations. Our goal is to restore lives, helping patients regain their independence so they can return home.
- To improve the health, function and quality of life of the people in the communities we serve
- To be the rehabilitation provider of choice, by providing high-quality care resulting in excellent outcomes and high patient satisfaction.
This position will work under the direction of the Director of Business Development and be responsible for patient admissions, insurance verification and other insurance verification duties as directed. This individual will be responsible for obtaining the necessary demographic information of the patient which may require interviewing patients or their representatives. This position is also responsible for preparing/processing admitting forms and keeps abreast of all new insurance updates and regulations. Direct supervisory for all admissions associates.
- Leads the admissions office process in IRF sites.
- Direct supervisory role of all hospital admission associates.
- Coordinates all facility tours provided to potential patients and guests – providing outcomes and clinical data pertaining to their specific needs.
- Ability to independently make decisions on prioritization of processing referrals and insurance authorizations based on clinical readiness.
- Compiles reports on patient outcomes data for liaisons and partner healthcare centers.
- Attends Hospital-wide operations meetings to report on potential admissions, patient needs, and pipeline information.
- Maintains open communication with liaisons and internal staff regarding bed availability and staffing.
- Coordinates the flow of information through the admissions process and forwards to appropriate departments for the successful completion of admission.
- Collect and record all information necessary for admitting patients.
- Immediately notifies appropriate rehab liaison to perform a clinical evaluation.
- Communicates admission status and coordinates all aspects of rehab admission.
- Pre- Admit all patients into appropriate EMR/Billing system – obtain correct demographic, clinical, and insurance information.
- Contact patient’s insurance to confirm and determine amount of coverage and benefits, deductible due, length of stay and if pre-certification is required, in order to complete Insurance Benefit Verification form.
- Obtain Pre-certification for inpatient rehabilitation stay and document necessary information for case management to follow up once patient admits.
- Answers telephone promptly and courteously, providing information and completing all referral/intake forms as appropriate for each call.
- Notifies appropriate departments of patient’s anticipated admission date/time.
- Notifies the appropriate personnel of the anticipated arrival time of all inpatients.
- Inputs new referrals into EMR for clinical liaison to complete Pre-admission screen
- Informs the patient of their verified insurance benefits and refers them to the appropriate finance department for further billing questions.
- Creates working patient files to track progress with patient’s admission
- Maintains confidentiality of patient medical records information in accordance with hospital’s defined policies and procedures.
- Coordinates denial information with liaisons for follow-up communication to referral sources, families and physicians.
- Continuously updates referral logs to indicate patients admission, pending, or denial status and reason for denial
- Provides current list of all pending referrals to liaisons, and necessary hospital staff
- Notifies insurance provider of patient’s admission and updates authorization information, as needed.
- Provides monthly information on conversion ratios.
- As needed, Completes admitting paperwork, obtaining appropriate signatures, reviews information with the patient and family, obtains patient identification and insurance cards for copy.
- Must be cooperative and have the desire to be a team player.
- Must recognize and observe confidentiality principles.
- Consistently demonstrates the ability to organize tasks in order of priority.
- Consistently performs job duties in an independent manner with minimal direct supervision required.
- Performs other duties as requested by authorized personnel or as necessary for effective operation of the facility, including emergency situations.
- Follow the step by step procedure outlined by Admissions Coordinator when receiving referrals.
- Processes referrals and coordinates admissions of all patients in an efficient, responsive manner. Assists with action plan for all pending cases to maximize conversion of referrals to admissions.
- Prepares all forms completely and accurately prior to the arrival of all admissions.
- Maintains up-to-date statistical data in computer information system within established time frames.
- Ensures completion of all referral documentation and maintains filing systems.
- Maintains, posts, and distributes an accurate census and referral information to administration hospital staff on a daily basis.
- Maintains systems and processes for timely data-entry of pre-admit, admission, and registration of information for inpatients and outpatients.
- Compiles daily and monthly statistics for admission, discharges, referrals and denials.
- Prepares statistics for corporate report as designated.
- Compiles and distributes weekly admissions/discharges list. Monitors pending list daily.
- Recognizes problems and assumes responsibility for helping to solve them when they occur.
- Seeks supervisory help appropriate in problem solving and assists in implementing solutions.
- Ensures patients have a good understanding of their insurance benefits and answers questions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicated the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates customer service skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Kindred’s Code of Conduct, Kindred policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable standards.
- Maintains cooperative working relationship and good rapport with Executive Team, Medical Staff, hospital departments and staff and other organizations or entities related to the hospital business.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- High School Diploma required. Some college preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Admitting and/or medical insurance preferred.
- Experience in handling patient admissions preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of insurance and their benefits and admitting forms.
- Proficiency in recording admission reservations.
- Management experience preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Ability to deal tactfully with patients, hospital staff and the general public.
- Med-Surg hospitals and systems (for profit and non-profit) knowledge desired
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must maintain a professional demeanor and appearance to reflect proper image for the hospital and the board members, medical staff, community leaders and fellow employees.
- Must have good organizational skills and analytical ability in order to interpret information, and carry out duties independently.
- Good general health and stress coping ability. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with all constituents (patients, families, peers, and other healthcare team members) as needed.
- Subject to frequent interruptions.Willingness to work beyond normal working hours when necessary and in other positions temporarily, when necessary. May be subjected to infectious diseases, substances, and contaminated articles, etc
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently throughout day.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately, so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising patient care.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest job openings based on your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Connect with Our Recruiters
Share some preliminary info about yourself and we will contact you to discuss your interests and career and future opportunities.